Wednesday, March 25, 2020

My Sincere Thoughts

First and foremost, since there is a restriction movement order to prevent the spike in Covid-19 (also known as the Coronavirus) cases, the citizenry is required to exercise their individual part by staying at home and avoiding all forms of social contact (yes, the yum cha sessions and outdoor exercises are included) unless you need to see the doctor, run financial errands, and grab food to stay alive. It’s perplexing to note that people are treating the severity of this virus with a lackadaisical approach - and still hanging out at public places.



Like, dudeee, lives are at stake here. =/

I only wish that folks would learn to listen and adhere to the Health Department as obedient children and stay indoors. Enough with the ‘I’m old and about to leave at any given minute, so let me do what I want’ attitude. This mindset would be the one that trips all of us up, causing the extension of the order to be beyond the fortnight period.

Like seriously, all of us want to return to work, man.

For someone who loves working, being stuck indoors with nothing to do can be a challenge. Even though I lean towards introversion, I’m only most comfortable at home if I’m allowed to remain in my room with access to the Internet and a bear as an accompaniment, only coming out at meal times to satiate the hunger. Technically, the order should work in my favor because it means that I won’t have to do anything but sleep all day long and allow the emotions to recuperate. It unfortunately won’t at this testing time. In fact, nothing will be in my favor in the near future. Work helps me to hide my feelings and provides me with something else to focus on.

For someone who doesn’t love working, being stuck indoors is the best thing that one can ask for. I’m able to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pay off the sleep debt and finally have a good night’s sleep with the emphasis on my emotional health. Sad to say, that’s just me being positive. The fear will always be there, waiting to make its presence known at any given moment.

It’s always during these times when I wish that I’m in another country, away from the pandemic-related apprehension. It’s terrible for the mental health to be continuously exposed to negative news and the rising number of cases.

Chicago Cheesecake and Latte at my favourite coffeehouse
On another topic, I finally forced myself to have lunch outdoors away from my work and came to the realization that I need fresh air if I wanted to avoid the sensation of passing out in the office. I’ve a tendency of packing my own lunch to work in an attempt to stretch the dollar, but it leaves me woozy because I’m still seeing the same scenery and breathing the same air as in the morning. Yet I chose the wrong day to dine in at the restaurant of choice.

Surrounding me were laughter and reminiscence of something that I desperately want to suppress: a sense of belonging. Ever since university, I lost that sense of belonging and footing that I had in the years leading up to college graduation. I was heavily reminded of the time when my friends and I used to loiter at the nearby cafe during our mutual free periods. It was a once in a blue moon thing because getting everyone to be there at the same time proved to be difficult. This didn’t stretch into uni because we were all scattered in different geographical areas and experiencing varying changes in our lives.

So, yes, you could say that I’m one of the few who’s able to dine alone. You might call it boring. I call it bringing myself on a date and having a pause from the earthly anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please refrain from using foul languages - or I'll not hesitate to delete the comment. If you don't see your comments, please inform me about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...