* republished and expanded from The Student Voice article that I wrote*
When the long-awaited event of this semester arrived around the corner, most if not all of the students were hyped up about Pie Day, one of the many events organized by the Student Council to raise money for its chosen charity.
The juniors were more enthusiastic about it than the seniors.
As the clock approached three-thirty p.m., the students began to flock the ground floor of our campus in anticipation of watching the chosen "victims" being mercilessly pied at. While the plates of pies were being brought out from its hiding spot in no thanks to the intense scent of durians, the students searched for places which they reckoned were safe enough to watch from. There were incidents from past semesters where the innocent bystanders were unlucky to have bits and pieces of the creamy mixture of durian and ice-cream landing on them when the volunteers shook it off.
Those standing closest to the table could detect the strong aroma of durian as well.
I was one of them.
- Mr. Fernando was next to take the seat and chose Mr. Moe. Seeing that they were both colleagues teaching Physics at CPU, Mr. Fernando took no offense at Mr. Moe, even though the plate was temporarily glued to his face by the pie’s sticky texture.
- Ms. Cara was next and drawn from the list was her English student from the July 2013 intake, Cookie. After some last words from her, he left no mercy when he threw the pie at her and masked her face with it.
- Mr. Mo’s eyes widened after Suk San’s name was announced as she took the plate, getting ready to fling it at him. Her accuracy was rather perfect; the plate landed on the middle of his face.
- Mr. Loria was the final lecturer to be placed under the spotlight. Since he topped the list of lecturers, he was to be pied twice. He was first pied by Jeremy, which momentarily left him shocked and took time out to briefly wipe the cream off his face before allowing Shariff to follow in Jeremy’s actions. Shariff, however, took it to the next level, which left Mr. Loria silenced.
- Ammar's name was chosen and she prepared herself for it mentally and physically. He forced the pie on her to the point where even parts of her ponytail were coated with the cream. She took some time to regain her composure (I am not a 100% sure whether she was happy or shocked) while her friend, Michelle (who ended up being pied herself), helped to wipe the cream off Hazel's face and hair.
- Cookie was next. Prior to Pie Day, he did casually mention that he wanted a specific someone to pie him but when he was asked to choose, Ms. Cara’s name arose, which terrified him slightly as he was the one who pied her. The look in his eyes was fear and suspense. Ms. Cara, seeing the opportunity, repeated what he did to her and softened his hair as well.
- Shariff had to face the pie for the second time since he topped the votes for the students. Mr. Fernando was calculating on the angle of precision and accuracy before finally pieing Shariff.
For the pictures, please visit the following albums: