Thursday, December 25, 2014

Mr. Siew Bao, Sunway Pyramid (Second Visit)

Although I initially intended to utilize the Worthy Book voucher that has been in my possession for a couple of snacks in Mr. Siew Bao, Empire Gallery, it wasn't until Mama Carrie needed to settle the telecommunication matters with urgency that I decided to kill two birds with one stone.





There is a wide variety of Chinese snacks being sold including egg tarts, the Teochew wedding biscuits, egg rolls, winter melon biscuits and more that I can't remember.

I'll have to admit that I was purchasing the items with a sense of apprehension; my previous experience with the siew bao wasn't too perfect and I really hoped that it'd not occur, but much of my dismay, it transpired again.




Siew Bao

I'm sorry to say that Mama Carrie and I both felt like we were ingested pure, coarse salt. I understand that this is for preservation purposes as the spokesman did assure us way back when that no chemicals were added into the patisserie but it was in excess.

It didn't explode with the flavors of a freshly baked item either. It leaned towards staleness instead as if the paste had been prepared a day or two in advance, but it was still edible.

When I first tasted this dish during its days of infancy, it was heaven and contained less oil and sodium chloride but after such a long period of hiatus, the quality has dipped tremendously with the extra addition of oil and sodium chloride, which is such a pity as Mr. Siew Bao has a lengthy history behind the name.

I really hope that this is an isolated incident because it'll be such a waste to see my favorite brand losing specialty.



Address: Mr. Siew Bao,

F1.K1, Sunway Pyramid
No. 3, Jalan PJS 11/15, Bandar Sunway,
46150 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.

Landmark: It's a mere booth away from Maxis on the 1st floor of the new wing.

For more information on Worthy Book, you can peruse the following links... or even purchase a booklet for yourself to use?

W: www.worthybook.my
F: www.facebook.com/worthybook
I: www.instagram.com/worthybook
T: www.twitter.com/worthybook_my
B: www.worthybook.blogspot.com
Y: www.youtube.com/user/WorthyBook

FnB Edition is available at all major bookstores (MPH, Popular, Times, Borders, Kinokuniya) and selected myNEWS.com outlets in KL and Selangor.

8 comments:

  1. Not so nice anymore. My ex-student bought a box for me once - from this very outlet, Sunway. They were very nice! The trouble with Malaysian franchises - very poor quality control. Thanks for the shout out! Will not buy should I come across an outlet then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, suituapui. It's like something went terribly wrong with the production and QC; such a pity. =( I'm not sure if it's franchise-owned but if it is, at least it makes sense why it has a stark difference in flavor and taste... unless it's baked/made in kitchen HQ before being delivered to all of the branches/franchises (like OldTown). No probs.

      Delete
  2. If it is a franchise, sometimes when it is new, the owner would be present to oversee everything himself, but he will be gone after a few weeks when things seem on track, that is when things start to go south..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, CL, I don't remember it being a franchise, but then again, anything can happen behind the scenes, especially with management. I've seen it happening myself. Exactly... I remember seeing someone at the Sunway branch periodically (that was when I frequently visited SP) but it's like he's no longer around nowadays. Hopefully things will improve for Mr. Siew Bao. =)

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately too much salt (sugar, chemicals, preservatives etc) seems to be all too common with mass produced food. Hard to avoid I guess. Hope they listen to feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so too, Yum List. =/ I guess that's one huge reason why Mama Carrie doesn't fancy bakeries or cafes nowadays.

      Delete
  4. Oh, there's a really weird thing going on with Mr Siew Bao (think it's the same outlet) in front of Lot 10 in KL!

    The place has been shuttered and closed and there's a notice from DBKL stating that it's not to be opened for any reason. Even stranger, there's a permanent guard from DBKL stationed beside it, perhaps in case anyone from Mr Siew Bao came and did some midnight renovation or to get their stuff inside.

    I don't know what's going on...maybe there were issues with the non-halal product and the high visibility area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, really, HB?! That's really bad, if the DBKL officers have ordered the closure of their Lot 10 branch and have stationed someone there to keep an eye on it. Gosh, gosh, I didn't know anything about it. O.o

      Perhaps there's more to the matter than meets the eye? Ikea Restaurant did close their restaurant (the one on the ground floor) to facilitate with some investigations launched by the local authorities. I can only guess that Mr. Siew Bao is facing something similar? =/

      Delete

Please refrain from using foul languages - or I'll not hesitate to delete the comment. If you don't see your comments, please inform me about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...